Wednesday 1 June 2011

A little bit of history on Golborne Road..

Today is the 2 year anniversary of the opening of our dear Golborne Place!! It has really flown by but we have loved every minute of being part of the Golborne Road local community. We are still very much the newcomers in the area as Golborne Road has a long history according to our research! It has changed dramatically over the years; starting out as part of the Great Forest of Middlesex in the 1500's, then becoming farmland in the eighteenth century and finally the development of shops and cafes began which helped form the vibrant Golborne Road we know today!



From the antiques, art, clothing, unique little boutiques, cafes and restaurants to the market stalls Golborne Road has become the little gem within Notting Hill.








The filming of Notting Hill has led Golborne Road to being an ideal and sought after film location for many movies and television sets as well as accentuating the trendiness and the artistic and creative atmosphere of the area.


Our fave spots to visit on the road are Golborne Deli for fresh juice on a summers day, Cafe O'Porto for a strong hit of caffeine when we're opening at 8am and of course Lisboa Patisserie for the tasty pastries. Not to mention Bazaar and Phoenix for a bit of retail therapy!
We hope to continue taking care of the local tribe of Golbornites with our Pilates and Gyrotonic classes as well as our large range of therapeutic therapies for many more years to come.


3 comments:

  1. Thomas Ireland (b 1838) built many of the properties in Golborne Road. He owned the properties at 51-55,66-72,74-78. He was my great grandfather and came from Hinckley in Leicestershire. Both his father and grandfather were builders/bricklayers as was my grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well your great grandfather would have owned the building I'm sat in right this second! Lovely to hear some of the history! Thanks for your comment and apologies for the delayed response-I only just saw this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just returned to your blog. We used to live at 19 and 21, (where Trellick Tower is now) from 1952 to 1967. My dad had a grocer's shop and my mum had a drapers next door. Until I started my family history research I didn't know about the family link as my granddad was born after the Irelands moved from Golborne Rd. I'm coming down to London in February 2014 to show my son some of the places linked with the family. It'd be great if I could show him inside. My email is noslennewg@gmail.com if you'd like to contact me.

    ReplyDelete